Guidelines for Management and Cooperation
The Guidelines for Management & Cooperation are an integral part of HELM’s corporate culture. They are embedded in our established Company principles and therefore provide the basis for our actions and decisions on all levels.
These Guidelines result from the joint work of managers and employees from different areas and levels. They were compiled due to the awareness that HELM can only enjoy lasting success if our Company is competently managed, fulfills its commitments to both customers and suppliers convincingly, and if our employees are genuinely involved in decision-making processes within their field of responsibility.
In order to achieve this, we need a culture of management and co-operation that actively involves all employees and enables them to contribute their knowledge and skills with creativity and self-confidence – and in so doing, assume their share of responsibility for our joint success.
As the biggest vocational training provider in Hamburg’s foreign trade sector, by offering well-qualified instruction in all vocational training courses we offer, we aim to recruit the best young talent for our Company and to win, retain and promote our employees for the long-term, as they secure our innovative strength, our competitiveness and strong performance.
These Guidelines for Management and Cooperation are intended to serve as orientation and obligation for everyone in our Company. Regular critical feedback and constructive discussions in our everyday work at HELM are required for these Guidelines to have their intended impact.
1. We Consider and Respect Each Other’s Individual Personalities
Regard and respect for each other are essential pre-conditions for trusting and constructive cooperation.
We achieve this through…
- Honesty, openness, fairness and tolerance
- Sensitiveness and tactful behavior
- Avoiding of arrogance and pretense
- The will and ability to listen
- Respect towards other people’s work
- Fair and constructive treatment of each other, especially in conflictive situations.
2. We Perform Our Duties and Responsibilities in the Company for the Collective Good
We share responsibility for the Company’s success and all the Company’s employees.
- We are committed to HELM’s agreed business objectives
- Our work is governed by the principle of highest quality
- We think and act in a team-oriented manner and together contribute to the Company’s success
- We keep our engagements and agreements and are therefore reliable and predictable business partners
- We address problems promptly, directly and honestly and contribute to finding constructive solutions
- We put the Company’s interest before the interest of individual business units.
3. As Managers We Are Aware of the Special Responsibility We Have for Our Employees and the Company
Successful management requires mutual trust. Trust requires exemplary behavior to set an example for others to follow.
- We enhance our employees’ motivation by exemplary and positive behavior
- We praise good performance, and by means of constructive criticism use unsatisfactory work results as a learning opportunity
- We do not delay decisions
- We provide our employees with development orientation by means of an Annual Evaluation.
4. We Are Committed to the Principles of Co-operative Management
- We agree upon and assign clear, comprehensible working tasks and responsibilities with well-defined objectives
- We involve our employees in decision-making processes within their field of responsibility
- We delegate the performance of tasks and certain decision-making authority to the responsible employees as appropriate
- Whenever they require it, our employees can ask us freely for advice and support
- Our employees are obligated to exercise self-control; nevertheless, as their supervisors we remain obligated to supervise their performance.
5. We Contribute to Providing Necessary and Comprehensive Information as Fundamental Prerequisites for Constructive Cooperation
- Everyone at HELM is obligated both to deliver and obtain essential information
- To ensure the effective exchange of information all participants need to demonstrate their openness to discussion and regular communication with pre-agreed times
- We design the content, extent and timing of information in a target-oriented and responsible manner.
6. We Observe our Performance and Behavior Self-critically
Regular feedback discussions help us to realistically evaluate ourselves and facilitate personal development.
In this permanent process it is important for us to...
- Address our own strengths and weaknesses
- Question our own performance and behavioral patterns, and be prepared to adjust these
- Conduct these discussions fairly and such in a way that they become a learning opportunity for learning for both parties
- Reach mutual agreements wherever there is a need for improvement.
7. We Use Training and Further Education as Preparation for Future Requirements and in Order to Further Develop our Vocational and Personal Qualifications
Everyone at HELM is responsible for their own qualification. The Company supports its employees by means of appropriate further training measures.
- Ensures that employees designated for managerial functions are prepared for this new challenge by means of the appropriate training measures
- Assists the employees with their vocational development in line with their own competence and motivation.